Founded: 21 October 1936: S.A. du Port Charbonnier de Genck.
Result of a joint venture between the Limburg Coalmines and the Belgian State.
Coal from the Campine Coalmines was transported by rail. This coal was subsequently loaded onto ships, which in turn supplied various industries.
At the start of the 80's, Ebes decided to generate power from burning coal and a joint venture agreement was entered into with the 'Steenkoolhaven van Genk' to supply this power station with the necessary coal. A coal storage area was created in order to meet the supply.
KHG: On 13 February 1989, the 'Steenkoolhaven van Genk' was renamed 'KHG'.
Nv Haven Genk: In June 1997, the Group Machiels, ALZ and Sidmar acquired KHG, with a view to expanding its range of services. As a result, the port was renamed 'nv Haven Genk'.
Besides the transshipment of coal, general and bulk cargo, it was decided to expand the logistics side of the business and to create a container transshipment facility.
In 1998, a new master plan was developed for the construction of a trimodal container terminal, served by the network of waterways, railways and roads.
In 1999, the construction of a multimodal logistics platform was launched.
On April 10th 2000, Haven Genk introduced a direct barge link to Antwerp.
In January 2001, Haven Genk took another major step in intermodal transport by starting a direct rail link between Genk-Italy.
At the end of 2002, a direct barge connection Haven Genk-Rotterdam was added.
In 2003-2004, the railway infrastructure was modernised and the storage and transshipment capacity for intermodal transport was expanded.
Same happened with the conventional cargo and bulk terminal in the course of 2006-2007.